• From Disney Animators trying to warp the
minds of children to psychically exploding heads we look at 15 of the most paused movie
moments 15 – Nick Fury’s Grave in Captain America:
The Winter Soldier, • This is a fairly recent and not legendary
paused moment but will get a laugh out of you if you love the cinema of Samuel L. Motherfucker
Jackson. • In the Captain America sequel when we
are led to believe that our favourite one eyed bald man is dead, the crew slip in a
reference to Pulp Fiction on the badass mofo’s tombstone.
• Yes the quote from Ezekiel is the same used in Tarantino’s masterpiece meaning
that surely somewhere online someone has a valid theory on how Jules is actually Nick
Fury. 14 – Peep show in The Rescuers,
• Disney are notorious for having secrets hidden in the background of their animations,
however a topless woman in a children’s cartoon may be taking it a bit too far.
• Yep in the scene where our heroes are riding on Orville’s back, just chilling
flying through the city. Except for some reason one of the buildings has a photograph of a
topless woman filling a random window. • It’s apparently only there for 2 frames
of animation but it’s very noticeable, causing any curious person to rewind and pause to
get some 70’s titties. 13 – The whiteboard in Cabin in the woods,
• Cabin in the woods is absolutely filled with horror movie homages from Evil Dead to
Friday the 13th and Hell raiser, its horror fan’s wet dream of in jokes.
• The best one though goes to the hilarious whiteboard of killer creatures that could
appear and kill our heroes. • Ranging from Withes to Sexy Witches, it’s
a great in joke that suits the tone for the horror comedy perfectly. Our favourite is
the dreaded and fearsome KEVIN. 12 –The butt in Eyes Wide Shut,
• This is one that had much more interest when it was released in 1999, mainly because
people wanted to see Nicole Kidman naked a hell of a lot more back then
• Kubrick’s final film about secret sex cults and marriage breakdown opens by showing
us some glorious images of Kidman’s ass that would have had any 16 year old boy using
the pause button like crazy. • The scene became so well known that the
film really should have been retitled Eyes Wide Butt.
11 – The Masturbator in Teen Wolf, • This old urban legend spread during the
glory days of VHS basically went like this, “Dude there’s totally a guy jackin’
it at the end of that film where Michael J Fox is a werewolf man”.
• This spread to every werewolf loving film fan and millions of copies were used to scan
the last shot for the phantom masturbator. The truth of the situation is that while there
is no meat beating there is someone with their fly clearly undone and trying to hide it,
badly. • This obviously means they were masturbating
because why else would you have your pants open while filming those sexy sexy basketball
playing werewolves. 10 – Birthday Alien in Signs,
• We won’t give Shyamalan much credit as a filmmaker but Signs has some great tension
filled moments and the lead up to the reveal of the alien invaders in one of his finest
moments. • Playing on the tricks of found footage
movies that work well, showing only a glimpse of a creature while people filming are terrified.
Meaning that we all had to go back and pause it so we could see the alien in its blurry
glory stalking a birthday party. • This was of course before the film reveals
that water is basically acid to these aliens which means if that kid got a water pistol
for his birthday then that alien was fucked. 9 – The Skull in Psycho,
• While Psycho had been around for a long time, it took until the Video generation to
catch the sneaky hidden skull overlay at the end.
• When Norman Bates has been arrested and is sitting in his cell, we get Anthony Perkins
pulling his iconic deranged stare which is creepy enough on its own, but Hitchcock decided
that overlaying a skull lightly would double the creep factor.
• And to his credit it does, it’s an unnerving shot and once you see the skull pattern it’s
hard to unsee. It is only there for a frame so you need to be quick with the pause button.
8 – Sex in the sky from The Lion King, • Another very well-known case of Disney
inserting random sexual content into their children’s movies. This time into everyone’s
favourite The Lion King. • It comes when Simba blows some leaves
off a cliff side and the very oddly made the word Sex as they fly off.
• While this was talked about for years, Disney came out and said “No, no, no…it’s
SFX as in Special Effects. What why would we say sex? It’s not like we have ever done
this before.” Well that would make sense if you hadn’t accidentally left sexual content
in your films before and if SFX had anything to do with the damn film.
7 – Exploding Head in Scanners, • Cronenberg is well known for pushing body
horror to its limits and no more iconic than the psychic head explosion at the start of
Scanners. • A B-Movie horror classic, Scanners most
impressive moment has been paused and rewound a million times before GIFS were invented.
• While the film doesn’t do much as impressive as the head kaboom it’s a great little film
and with one gory moment David Cronenberg est ablished himself as horror masters.
6 – Tyler Durden Flashes – Fight Club, • Fight Club has many hidden jokes but the
most well-known one is the hidden flashes of Brad Pitt scattered around the film.
• Eagle eye viewers can spot it pretty clearly without needing a pause button but it really
does go by quickly in many scenes. • Fincher loves to fuck with your head,
no more so than making you constantly think you are seeing things while watching your
DVD. Reaching for the remote to make sure you aren’t fucking crazy.
5 – The Eye Splinter in Zombi 2 • This Italian film that presents itself
as a sequel to the 70’s Dawn of the Dead is an amazing gore fest that features the
best zombie vs shark fight you need to see in your life.
• While it’s an exploitation film the effects and deaths are a marvel to watch with
the one you will want to pause is when one of the heroes gets her eye impaled on a piece
of broken wood. • The effect is extremely convincing and
will have you hitting the button to try and work out when they switch to a fake eye and
just how close the actress is to losing an eye.
4 – The Kiss from Cruel Intentions, • Ah back in the day where Sarah Michelle
Gellar and Ryan Phillippe were the fantasy of teenagers everywhere. Cruel Intentions
was the dark sexy 90’s film that had a great soundtrack and one massively pause worthy
moment • Infamously it is the Kiss between Gellar
and Selma Blair that sparked a number of 13 year old kids to break the button on their
remote controls with a kiss so intense the camera actually picks up a length of spit
still connecting the two actor’s lips as the make out session ends.
• Needless to say this little detail blew sexually charged teenagers minds meaning that
word spread quickly and this one became one of the iconic moments to pause on.
3 – Commando Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit,
• Have you ever wanted to see cartoon vagina in a mainstream children’s film? Well that’s
kinda what you can see if you get your hands on a VHS or Laserdisc copy of Who Framed Roger
Rabbit • See in the scene where the Jessica Rabbit
and Bob Hoskins hit a lamp post in a toon cab, Jessica spins around with her dress lifting
up and her legs wide open towards the camera for about 4 frames revealing a tiny patch
of skin coloured crotch. • Why only the VHS and Laserdisc? Because
the DVD has edited in underwear to correct the offending issue for today’s generation.
Now no one will ever know, it’s not like there’s a global information hub where people
can share images and video…oh wait there is
2 – Dumbass Storm trooper in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope,
• Stormtroopers are only as competent as Star Trek’s red shirts when it comes to
dying and marksmanship, but the white armoured baboons have one more infamous skill…not
being able to see five goddamn feet in front of them.
• This infamous goof in the first Star Wars film sees a particularly tall Stormtrooper
bang his head on an exposed beam all but knocking his ass out cold.
• However unlike the Commando Jessica Rabbit, Lucas decided to go with the joke and add
in a sound effect so that viewers intentional are drawn to the mistake. But before then
it was frequently paused frame for geeks to laugh at.
1 – Stone Beaver in Basic Instinct, • Now this one is undebatable intention
and more well-known than any other on the list. Almost everyone has…well at least
every guy has sat there going frame by frame through this scene to get that two frames
of slight nudity. • Well that’s one way to get your kicks
without the internet. The scene was one that helped launch Sharon Stone’s star into the
sky and cement her as a sex symbol for 90s • The scene perfectly sums up the feeling
of watching a movie and having the moment of “did I really just see that?” and going
back to work out if it did really just happen. That and of course the shock of just possibly
seeing a then A list celebrity’s down stairs.