– What’s the best bad movie of last year? – Let’s talk about that. (funky electronic music) (fire crackles) Good Mythical Morning. – It’s award season, y’all!
(Link sings high note) And there are so many incredible
films up for consideration. The big prize could go to
anyone from Bradley Cooper to Bradley Cooper. – (chuckles) You know
sometimes it feels like the movies we’re supposed
to like are pre-determined for us by a small group
of mostly white old men who are biased gatekeepers of the majority of wealth and opportunity
in the film industry. (winces) But today, we’re
going to shine a light on movies that don’t get
enough praise on their own. Movies that are so bad that
they are actually good. It’s time for Ranked:
Best Bad Movies of 2018. – We’ve invited four Mythical
team members to join us today. Stevie, Will, Ellie, and Alex. – Uh-huh and what they’ve
done is they each have what they believe to be the
best worst movie of 2018, the calendar year, so you guys are gonna
provide arguments to us. I believe that we have not
seen any of these movies so based solely on your arguments, we are going to rank them up here and the movies can be theatrical release, they can be streaming, they
can be direct-to-video. I don’t care what they are as long as they’re so bad, they’re good. – [Rhett] And we’re going
to get started with Stevie. – Well our first movie
is called Eruption LA. And the plot synopsis is,
struggling screenwriter Josh Kendricks finds himself the star of his own disaster movie
when super volcanoes begin erupting all over Los Angeles. – [Rhett] It could happen. – Take a look. (dramatic music) – As I’m sure your agent filled you in, we need a page one rewrite
on an earthquake movie. Have you heard of Dr. Erwin? You’re gonna meet with a seismologist. Why not do it after an earthquake? – What’s all that noise? – Right there.
– What the hell is that? – [Bearded Man] Oh God. (explosion blasts) – The entire Los Angeles basin is sitting right on top of a volcano. – [Blonde Woman] We didn’t see it because we weren’t looking. – [Josh] Oh my God, this
is worse than I thought. – How much time do we have? – Four, maybe five years. (dramatic music) – Here goes nothing. (explosion blasts) (laughing) – That looks horrible! – Suspenseful, right. What happens? – [Rhett] How did I not know about this? – We didn’t know because
we weren’t looking. – [Ellie] A classic. – It’s a little weird too
because you see at the top, they bring him in, he’s the eighth writer rewriting an earthquake movie but he’s already written a
movie called Lava Angeles. That movie that he wrote that came out, that movie is coming to
life in his real life, but for some reason he’s also hired to write another earthquake movie and then as soon as he’s hired out of that production office, he
happens to get in a helicopter with that seismologist. And who’s flying the helicopter? Oh it’s the female lead of the
new movie that he’s writing because she has learned
to fly a helicopter from the last movie that she did. – Yeah like Tom Cruise does.
– Yeah. – This is an airtight plot. How’s the acting? – Well the amount of people who are faking that an earthquake is happening
throughout the whole movie– (warbling moans) – I’m really–
(warbling grunts) You gotta have the right hair. – Yeah exactly, there’s no special effects to make the room shake or
anything so it’s literally like someone’s yelling off camera like quake and people are like this. – I’m feeling it over here. – We gotta put this at number one because I can’t imagine it getting any better. – I’m not gonna lie.
– It’s really good. – All right Alex. Give us yours.
– I’m so excited, guys. I’d already seen this
movie before I decided to pick it for this, before
it was even an option. Saw it back in October. I rewatched it again casually and then I rewatched it again for this. So that’s three total viewings
for me, just for this movie. – Can’t be too bad.
– No, no. I think it’s great,
it’s called Mom and Dad. It’s the story of a teenage
girl and her brother who try and survive a wild 24 hours in which a mass hysteria causes parents to turn violently against
their own children. It stars Nic Cage and some other– – Hold on, what? It stars who? – The Nicolas Cage.
– Yes! – You may be familiar with his work. – He’s very picky about what
projects he gets into too. – Yeah, but it’s pretty amazing. Let’s take a look. (child giggling) ♪ There’s not a cloud up in the sky ♪ (moves into dark music) – What’s the rush today? It’s like they’re waiting for the fae. – What’s going on? – [Girl] Is that McKenna’s mom? (suspenseful music) – Multiple reports are now coming in of parents murdering their own children. – Hey! Put your right foot in! You take your right foot
out (smashing objects). You do the Hokey Pokey and you (bleep)! (Rhett laughs excitedly) – What?
– Yeah. – What?
– Yeah it’s pretty great. – You do the Hokey Pokey and what? – Can you repeat it? – I have to say something
because that’s before the psychosis took hold. That’s just a scene in the
movie where Nic Cage is upset. He’s having a mid-life crisis. He builds a whole billiards table and then his wife’s life,
“Were you gonna tell me “about the billiards table?” And he’s like no and
then he just smashes it for no reason. – Yeah yeah yeah, never
build a billiards table without asking your wife. – But if you’re gonna destroy it, you should do it to the Hokey Pokey. – Yeah exactly. I think we actually have
another clip of this movie ’cause there’s a lot to it. – [Link] Yes! (weeping softly) (all laughing) – Oh my God. – There’s no way that’s in the script. He definitely just decided
to do that, you know. – Carly. Is that an accent? – I, (chuckles) no it’s just. (Link laughs)
– It’s the peak of cinema! – Wow.
– Yeah I think Nic Cage has his own accent, that’s
just Nic Cage, you know? – Here’s what I gotta say about this. Eruption LA seems like a worse movie. – Mm.
– But Nic Cage’s performance is something that is so
difficult to overcome when you get into movies so
bad they’re good, you know? – Yeah, yeah.
– So we gotta up-end Eruption LA. – I got to see it. Oh and it’s got her in it too. – [Alex] Yeah that other lady. – Yeah it’s got the other lady. Nic Cage and the other lady. – Don’t disrespect Selma Blair. – Selma Blair!
– Oh Selma Blair is in it? – [Link] I like her. – I mean don’t watch it. – Okay Will, what you got? – All right my movie was
called Beauty and the Beholder, and it is the absolute
worst thing I’ve ever seen. (all laughing) Like, the plot synopsis is a
narcissistic plastic surgeon meets a beautiful woman who
changes his outlook on life. It was shot very well,
that’s the thing I will say. I think I read it was shot in 4K. Like looking at it, it’s
color graded very well, the cut throughs are very good. – So you can really see how bad it is. – So you can really see
how terrible the acting is. – Got it.
– But yeah, we have a trailer? – Yeah.
(all laughing) – I am Dr. Joseph Neiman and I’m a board certified plastic surgeon. I’m considered one of
the best in the country. (upbeat music) People have always been widely obsessed with achieving the perfect look. Cosmetic surgery is the new drug, and it’s in high demand. – The leader of People
Against Plastic Surgery would like to meet you. Maybe you should start dating again. – What are you talking about? I date all the time, you know that. – [Blonde Woman] I’m not
talking about your strippers with benefits or one-night specials. – I think you have never been in love. – Would you ever marry
a woman who’s never been under the knife? – [Joseph] I don’t think
I can trust a woman that’s never had surgeries. – Oh.
– What? – It’s just so dumb. – Okay wow.
– This seems so bizarre. – It is very bizarre. – But the lead seems pretty great to me. – He’s like in his own world
similar to Nicolas Cage. He’s working it up to
be Nicolas Cage someday. He’s just like–
– That’s gracious of you. – I didn’t understand a word he said. – He’s like a mumble rapper. – If Bradley Cooper can
mumble his way to an Oscar, this man–
– Oh shots fired. – He ain’t ugly, he is not ugly. – This is one of those
movies that everyone involved thought they were making a good movie and they were incredibly wrong. – They went sideways.
– You know what I’m saying? It’s a different category
of bad movie, like The Room, but I don’t think it
reaches masterpiece levels like The Room but he has a
Tommy Wiseau sort of quality to his delivery. – He did, yeah, yeah. – This is really tough. I want to see all of them!
– No you don’t. – I feel like Nicolas Cage
deserves his own category, you know?
– Here’s the thing. What I hear Will telling
me is that this was so bad, it was bad. I just haven’t heard that
it started to get better and became entertaining. – It does look good. And it is funny, I will also say that. I was laughing, I was like hold it– – At it, you were laughing at it? – I was laughing at it. So if you wanna laugh at something, definitely don’t have
the kids in the room. – Yeah we’ve already killed them. (crew laughing) – I think it’s a three just because, this one’s got a helicopter.
– Mm-hmm. You better believe it. – It’s got bad special effects. – You’re right, okay all right, we still got one more though. Ellie, what’s up? – Oh, let me take you into
the world of Boyfriend Killer. Can you guess the plot? Probably. After the death of her son in a car crash, a grieving woman starts to suspect that his vindictive girlfriend set it up to look like an accident. Let’s show the trailer. – [Officer] This is Officer Ortega. There’s been an accident with your son. – I have bad news. – What’s going on? Sandy, are you okay? – [Narrator] A mother
must search for answers. (gasps) – I’m so sorry, I didn’t
mean to scare you. I just, I didn’t know who it was. – Carrie, this is Krystal. Preston’s ex-girlfriend. – No we were together. Preston and I were still. In fact, I live here. – You do?
– Yeah. – How long did the two of you date? – Nine, 10 months. A big mistake. If it’s not keying my
car, it’s killing my fish. Or vandalizing my house. – Why do you think she would lie about moving in with Preston? – Who knows what goes
through a crazy mind. (objects clatter) – [Narrator] Is that some women– – I was Preston’s fiance. – [Narrator] Make killer girlfriends. (grunts) – No body, no crime. – [Narrator] Boyfriend Killer. – Wow. – Also fish killer. – Yeah.
– Boyfriend slash fish killer should be in there. – So you’re saying this
is not one slow lead-up to just a porn scene? – Shocking, I know.
– Wow. – So you have seen the
whole movie in that trailer. – Yeah we actually saw
the murder. (laughs) Usually you don’t put that in the trailer. – [Ellie] Yeah yeah yeah. – Can you explain the fish? – She was upset–
– Oh okay. – That her ex-boyfriend
didn’t want to let her in and so–
– Not ex-boyfriend, they lived together. They were engaged. – Different boyfriend. Pre-dead boyfriend that
the mother cares about. It’s a different–
– She killed that one too. – She has a history. – The woman in it is beautiful. I kept thinking that the whole time. I wish she would kill me.
(Rhett laughs) – You know what, she’s really good. And I hope one day she flaps her wings above the fray and into
movies that have real budgets. – Okay this is in the same category as Beauty and the Beholder. Again, it’s somebody who thought they were making something great, but making something
unintentionally great in a bad way. – It doesn’t seem, like the acting’s not as bad
as Beauty and the Beholder. I can tell that by the trailer. It’s just not quite as bad.
– Wow. – [Link] It’s really
bad, but not that bad. – Mine has the worst acting.
– Yeah. – You’re right.
– Hands down. – They just say their lines.
– But is this in 4K? – You know, I don’t know stuff about that. (all laughing) – Mine definitely comes in all the Ks. The highest amount of Ks you can get. Nic Cage is in, at all times. – I’m thinking that
Beauty and the Beholder’s a little better than
this ’cause it’s worse. I mean this is kind of a cliche plot. This is such a stupid plot. Can you marry anyone that
hasn’t gone under the knife? It’s like–
– That’s good in a bad way. – Yeah where do you hear stuff like that? – LA. (laughing) – Okay put Boyfriend
Killer at number four. – Sorry Ellie.
– Wow. – I think we’re gonna leave
Mom and Dad at number one, just because I’m afraid
of what Nic Cage might do if we don’t. – Yeah that’s true. – Can I make a counter-argument? – Not really.
(laughing) – People like this movie. – Mom and Dad?
– Yeah. – Yeah it was great but it has like a 54% on Rotten Tomatoes, so you
know it’s like half and half. – Again–
– It’s a failing movie. – The number one is the
one I want to see the most even though I know that it’s bad. – I’ll accept it. I’ll accept defeat because of Nic Cage. – So there you have it, people. Having not seen any of these movies, based solely on their arguments, we have determined that Mom and Dad is the best bad movie of 2018. – Yes, thanks for liking,
commenting and subscribing. – You guys say you know what time it is. – [Crew] You know what time it is. – Hi Rhett and Link, this is a film class at Gilmer High School
in north Georgia, and– – [Together] It’s time to
spin the Wheel of Mythicality. (wheel clicking) – All right, north Georgia represent! – I love them. – Click the top link to watch
us match the crew member to their favorite bad movie of all time in Good Mythical More. – And to find out where the Wheel of Mythicality’s gonna land. Think you can handle this
new Ear Biscuits mug? Well, you can. It’s got a handle. Get one now at Mythical.store.